Monday, May 9, 2016

Interdisciplinary Skin: First Attempt

    
I have chosen the template of Gilbert Franz Huang from the discipline of Interior Architecture. The reason for this choice is that the streamline and curvatures of the shoe resembles similar forms with some of the most innovative and modern buildings in the world, which acts as a continuation of my previous project, hence allowing me to further explore the fabrication of streamline and curvatures of a metal skin.
   
The shape of the template is similar to my handheld vacuum from the previous project, so with some experience, I was able to fabricate the rough shape of the shoe quite quickly, in just 2 hours. However, this is just a rough shape and there are still a lot to improve, I will analyse my first attempt in more detail below:

The fold line here is too obvious and does not resemble
the shape of the shoe, which I have to keep working on
The obvious fold line is even more annoying in this photo
I accidentally broke the edge of the metal sheet
during the shrinking process.
Lesson learnt: not to overly use the shrinker
for the sake of saving time
The fold line here is hindering me to get
the bottom shape of the shoe

From this view the metal skin is bulged out quite seriously, 
I might have to consult tutors and staffs 
in the design lab about this issue
The skin is still far from adhering the contours of the template.


Conclusion of things to improve for the next attempt:
- To make the fold line less obvious but more of a gradual curvature.
- Fix the cracked edge of the skin
- Fix the bulged out part of the main body

No comments:

Post a Comment